Thursday, February 02, 2006

Arkansas -- wow...I never expected it to be like this...first of all, I have to drive through the forest to get to my apt. The city is really spread out...I live way out in the west part of Little Rock (which is a really nice part), but everything is really more central than I live...I have to find a gym asap...that is pretty much the only thing to do here--but no one seems to go to the gym! It is actually a very nice city...a bit smaller than I thought it would be, but I am really enjoying it so far! It's nice to feel like I am at home...

The hospital is awesome...a really good and effecient unit. The surgeon is off this week so they are a bit slow which is good since I am in orientation. I really start on my own Friday night. They do some really good things, but they are definitely behind the times...for my medical friends...they are just now getting biopatches to use on their lines. They don't dress their heart lines...they just leave them open to air. Their flowsheet is on a drawing board instead of a bedside table. Everyone is super nice...and they don't treat me like an idiot. They ask questions about different ways to do things. I get the feeling the nurses don't have a lot of autonomy here though. The doctors hardly ever talk to the nurses--even in rounds. And it is not a teaching hospital--no residents or fellows--which is going to be nice! Anyway, enough mumbo jumbo...

It will definitely be an adventure here--that's for sure! The weather is super nice...I haven't worn a jacket since I have been here...the temp has been in the high 60's...

~Amber

No comments: