Sunday, October 23, 2005


I woke up today and it was so beautiful, but I was so melancholy....I have had a hard time meeting people here in DC. It is definitely true what they say about the north!!! (For those of you who don't think DC is the north, you obviously have never lived in the south!) People up here are nice once you get to know them, but they don't go out of their way to make friends. They will run over you in their car, cuss you out for driving like a normal person (and I've been driving in Atlanta for the past three years), and then flip you off just for good measure. The parking is soooo bad around here...I remember getting so frustrated in Atlanta because everywhere was valet parkingl. I get to place up here and am offended they don't have valet parking! The paradox of it all!

The weather has been absolutely breathtaking! The sunshine on my skin, the wind through my hair, and the cool air has been more amazing than words will ever be able to describe. The leaves are starting to change now and the view of the city is becoming more and more pituresque. I spent most of the day by myself today...I started the day by reading a little with my doors open..then went to see Elizabethtown (which I thought was great) and then had one of those moments where you are driving but don't really know where you are going...I wound up at the capitol...It wasn't like it was a premeditated trip...there I was just sitting at a redlight and it was right in front of me!
So magestic in its grace and beauty....it's huge for those of you who have never been. There were people just sitting out and enjoying the day talking to their friends and chilling outside of the capitol like it was their front yard! From the steps you look behind you and you see the national mall...it's absolutely humbling! All the history classes you have ever taken could never prepare you for the grandeur and majesty of it all....thinking about George Washington and all of the great men who have walked exactly where you are standing at that moment! Ok so blah blah...I'm done with my patriotic diatribe...

So, I'll just come out and say it-- I miss Atlanta...I miss my friends and the familiar places...I miss having fifty people I could call on a saturday night and go anywhere I want and have someone to hang out with. I miss the hot men and the gorgeous women--I miss my gym with all the eye candy it possessed...I have met only a handful of people here and they are pretty much all the same. They are more concerned with how many people they are dating than the quality of the people they are dating. Watching the movie today, I laughed out loud at so many things other people turned around at me for...and I realized half way through the movie -- the reason they didn't laugh is because they didn't understand...the funniest part of the movie was because I "knew" those people....going back to small town Mississippi! The great-uncle you don't remember, but you pretend to as he is pinching your cheeks....the song "Freebird"...everyone always yells that anytime any live band is playing! I miss the south, but I am not giving up just yet! My mamaw (grandmother for those of you who don't know what a mamaw is) called me today and just checked in on me --she asked me about cute "nawthawn" boys...I told her I hadn't met any! She laughed and told me I should move back closer to home! Anything to get me closer to home--just like my mom...I miss you too! I'll be home soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! Taylor just showed me your site! It's really awesome...i'm so jealous of all the fun you're having....meanwhile, i'm here in good ole Killen. Come and visit soon!

Love ya,
Heather

Anonymous said...

YADA YADA YADA.
BLAH BLAH BLAH.
YADA YIDA YADA.

Anonymous said...

Hey Amber... I don't think its so much the South that you're missing... Its because you moved another 600 miles from ME!!!!!! Remember to reserve me a seat at whatever bar you're drinking at!!!!

Take it EASY KILLA!!!

...Love you

Casey